Sunday, August 21, 2016

I worked on the Malaria Prevention Application (Android version) in Google Summer of Code 2016 with Systers- Anita Borg Institute as my mentoring organisation.


Project Abstract

The aim behind Malaria-app-android is to help PeaceCorps volunteers sustain protective practices against malaria. Earlier, the application just served the function of a medication reminder with a trip planner and Information Hub. Below is the work I did during this GSoC to extend the functionality of the application.

In the first half of GSoC 16,I fixed various bugs associated with the earlier version of the app. I gamified the application by adding a point based reward system . I also added 2 mini games to give users information about malaria in an interactive way. I created a platform which alerts the users when they run short on medicines and also added a feature to order medicines. I created 2 widgets for the application as well.

During the second half, I implemented a mechanism to push user data to the server side by integrating the app with MACC (Mobile Application Control Center) . I also extended the info hub to support images as well. I also added a text to speech conversion feature in the info hub. I added a sharing option for users to share their achievements on social media. I extended the UI of the entire app to support landscape mode as well. During the later weeks, I tested the application on various android versions and screen sizes. I added instrumentation tests and completed the documentation for the app.

Important Links 


Link to all my commits for Malaria Prevention Application.

Link to the latest documentation for Malaria Prevention Application

Link to download the latest .apk of Malaria Prevention Application

Link to the video reports displaying weekly changes to the app. Reports might be missing for some weeks as some work (like tests, documentation etc ) can't be displayed through video.

Link to the weekly progress report  on the Systers' student profile page





                       ***********************************************************








No comments:

Post a Comment